summer hasn't turned out as expected so far
my plans for staying connected with the majority of my friends have for the most part failed in an epic style, with a few exceptions
Lakeshore is by now a usual thing of course, because it's my home. But at the same time, it's new every time. I never know what to expect.
I just got back from my youth group summer trip, and that was very interesting. I learned several things about myself.
The Lake Junaluska part of the trip was wonderful. mission work, fun small groups, fun sessions, good causes (see:Invisible Children, Hoops of Hope, LiNK, Dry Tears, ForgetMeNot), rafting down the Nantahala, and more.
The Gatlinburg part of the trip was mostly not enjoyable for me, because I was tired, and I don't like Gatlinburg. But even so, Mini Golf was hilarious, and we got to make a trip into the Smokies (love.) Until this week, I didn't really like Jonathan, our new youth director. But I found out that he's actually a great guy. He just doesn't make a great first impression. When we went to Abrams Falls, he went at my pace (which is much faster than I usually get to go, b/c of my dad), and he, Sarah, and I had some really great conversation. We climbed to the top of the falls. Behind us there were mountain rapids, the forest, life. Below us there was a 20' drop, a natural pond, people swimmin and chillin and playin, life. Beside us there was a speeding waterfall, life. And it was good. So.... full of movement, busy, changing, and yet still peaceful. I feel that this is the way life should be. And then I got a picture with a random stranger, which was funny. :D and I got to run the whole way back, I've got battlescars to prove it. (incidentally, my shoes ripped to pieces this week. and Lake Junaluska is beautiful around dawn.)
but it went downhill from there, although I'm not complainin, since it was a great week. To make a long story short, I got sick last night and pretty much slept the whole 6 or so hour bus ride home. And I found out that some people in my youth group really annoy me. I don't really remember very clearly what we did last night, because I had a fever..
But I'm going to Lakeshore tomorrow, which means my life is wonderful.
And I've decided that the Appalachian Mountains are my favorite place to run. Before, they were my favorite place in general, but not necessarily for running. But after the Smokies, Windy Gap, and Lake Junaluska.. ah.
And the reps for Invisible Children were so fresh. We got to chill with them, and it was awesome.
And I take heart in the fact that Lakeshore has turned out to not be the only place, the only group of people, where I can feel the awe of God in worship.
Because it was also there at Windy Gap, and it was there at Junaluska.
Tuesday night, we had the talent show before worship.
And then the whole group, all 550 of us, came together, and it was life, in rows of strangers with their arms around each other, swaying to the music and screaming songs of worship at the top of their lungs.
And it was so pure, so powerful, so beautiful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment